Saturday, August 9, 2008

中国加油!

I'll be rooting for the Chinese to pull out their hoped for domination of all medals in the Olympics. I'm not particularly eager to see the Chinese system of athlete recruitment and training succeed and I have over the past four years felt the occasional surge of nationalistic pride along the lines of 'god I hope we beat these bastards' but it would be best for the world if they win (the most medals). A Chinese win might go a long way towards defusing the national inferiority complex. Having proven the power of the Chinese on the world stage they may feel slightly less driven to do that in other realms. On the flip side, I hope a Chinese win fuels Western anxiety about China's rise and our ability to guide/contain it. Such anxiety could only be beneficial to the physical security of one living in Taiwan and the job opportunities of one looking to analyze Sino-US relations.

No comments: