Monday, February 22, 2010

Why Blog?

It just dawned on me that, aside from the time cost, career-wise there's almost no downside to blogging. I used to worry that if I just blogged about what I was doing, it would be considered boring and nobody would read it. Well, even in the case of well-read blogs, hardly anyone is paying attention, so that's really irrelevant. Best case scenario is a few people actually consider some of your ideas, they leave comments, discussion ensues, and your better off for it. Perhaps they are a future employer, investor, or customer. Worst case scenario is that it still functions like an extremely long resume.
I also used to worry that blogging needed to be profitable, cool, or therapeutic to be worthwhile. Alternatively, posts had to have a hard-hitting argument, or in depth research and analysis like 538, thus the large quantity of never published drafts stored in this blogger account. But, I now believe, poor writing and all, that blogging is it's own justification. The 99.9% of people that ask me 'what have you been up to?' but don't really care to know will not read this blog. And putting my thoughts online is the only practical way the other .01% could ever know.
I take great inspiration from the blog 'The Money Illusion' by Scott Sumner. Thanks to Ryan for bringing my attention to it, as it had been in my feed reader but I had previously always ignored it.

No comments: